Chess and Poker Forums    

Go Back   Game Forums > Chess and Poker Game Forums > Community Discussions

Old 01-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Full Member (100+)

Default Our Little Genius

Fox is going to be having a TV show called "Our Little Genius" up soon. I hope this takes off. In it, genius kids answer progressively harder questions, and the parents decide whether to continue or stop. It has been said to be the opposite of "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader". Info on it is here:
[url]http://www.fox50.com/generic/on_demand/Our_Little_Genius[/url]

A reason why I hope the show takes off is that we stand a better chance of braininess being seen as cool and getting more such programming. Then, we have a chance to get chess on TV and hopefully it sticks.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:57 PM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

Hmmm I don't know. I've seen a few previews and as far as making smart = cool, well, they look like little geniuses (aka geeks ). in all seriousness, though, it seems like the premise of the show really puts alot of pressure on the kids.

the lil guys and gals answer questions and then the parents decide if they want to progress to the tougher questions (for their offspring to answer) which eventually reaches life-changing money levels, and that seems like there could be 1) a huge heaping spoonful of pressure to help out their families financial future and 2) potential resentment of the parents and schoolmates even (how could you miss that question it was for $200k?! that was your college money!) I could be wrong though, I don't watch much tv unfortunately, I might be more normal if I did
Old 01-13-2010, 03:41 AM
Full Member (100+)

Latest word about the show is that it got the plug pulled on it. They said that contestants were getting answers leaked ahead of time. And they are looking to redo the series, but no word that Fox will pick it up.

By the way, what the heck is this supposed to be an emoticon for?