Chess and Poker Forums    

Go Back   Game Forums > Chess and Poker Game Forums > Community Discussions

Old 12-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Full Member (100+)

Default Would people be interested in a chess-poker hybrid tournament?

Just curious if people would be interested in playing a tournament that involved both chess and poker. The basic idea is you first play chess. Depending on how well you do, it determines your bankroll for the chess tournament. Another possibility is a split between chess and head's up poker. You could end up doing something like speed chess instead of regular chess, to make things happen faster.

Would anyone here be interested in having such a tournament? Would you be willing to participate and even pay in to create a prize pool to participate?

Thank you for your time...
- Rich
Old 03-05-2008, 02:28 PM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Default Chess and Poker event.

I certainly would be interested in this type of event.

I am currently trying to run an event like this in Toronto Canada with the Chess federation there.

I own a website and am trying to run a chess/poker combo..

Pm me for details.. perhpas we work together on this.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 PM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

I'd be interested in playing these types of events, considering the event organizers saw fit to waive all of my entry fees
Old 03-07-2008, 04:52 AM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Default hey Chessand poker!!

Yeah free entrnce for you for sure. LOL...

No but seriously i have been posting notes about this in a Canadian chess form website and there are mixed reviews.

Some guy is painting a picture as me trying to get rich of it. LOL.. To Funny.

I think a live game where you play poker first. gain a point value for placement. Then have the poker match and same idea and you add totals up.

Here inCanada the CFC federation is in money trouble and there is huge debate whether they will survive. They however dont see any use in poker althought everywhere you go people are playing. Also most people know how to play chess. Its so weird i tell you.

I have about 5-10 interested and would particpate, i was thinking of 20.

How would you do this online??? I guess you could use the free chess servers and free poker money tables.. but thats no fun.

I thought a more intellegent way is to run an event in my example live... Where players sign up via website and take a poker deal. Most of the CPA goes back to the live tournament as prizes.

There players would most likely be good players so no issues there..

Online not sure how to do it.. Maybe online set maches between players of FICS free interenet chess sites and they repor scores to you... you have a tally at end and points strucuture...

Afterwards you create a table with those players on a poker site max it at 10 or 20 so to speak... Could work i guess...

I could have the poker room set a table for me and call it chessandpoker something.. related...

Hey Chess and poker very nice site i must admit... I ws thinking of doing a Canadian website dedicated to chess and poker but for some reason these chess gouys dont seem to keen on it...

Maybe i can pass on my website... its poker only right now and its an affiliate site. Let me know what you think. I can PM it to you cuz i see you dont want links in here.... i dont spam so just in case.. LOL...

Do you have many asking about combo events???

CHeers!

The Nic
Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Full Member (100+)

How about running it as a chess tournament first. Have a $10 entrance fee. Everyone plays chess. Winner of the chess side ends up getting half the prize money. Then everyone plays a poker tournament (except winner). Winner of the poker tournament then goes head's up against the winner of the chess tournament (at poker). Winner wins the other half of the money. In other words, you win the chess tournament, you get a seat at the final table.

This approach may actually provide you a legal loophole for getting people to be able to play poker legally.

Just an idea. Please comment.

Last edited by richardhutnik; 03-07-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:57 PM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Default Chess and Poker Combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhutnik View Post
How about running it as a chess tournament first. Have a $10 entrance fee. Everyone plays chess. Winner of the chess side ends up getting half the prize money. Then everyone plays a poker tournament (except winner). Winner of the poker tournament then goes head's up against the winner of the chess tournament (at poker). Winner wins the other half of the money.

This approach may actually provide you a legal loophole for getting people to be able to play poker legally.

Just an idea. Please comment.
Hi there agaian nice idea and a possibility. Any idea is great to try, but first off how do youi pay the entrance fee??? TO whom and where.

And how do you make sure games are played without cheating.. etc... like loss on purpose and chess computers etc.... For money people will do anything...

Also an IM or GM can have easy picking for half prize... and not reallly worry to much about poker.

What i thought was have both... say you had 10 people...

5 rounds active chess.... and say you had 4 points. Out of 5... multiply that by say 2 0r 3.....

Now you have poker and if you place in 10th last place well you get 0 points or maybe 1 point... then points go up from there....

If you want more emphasize on chess you use the multiplier to increase value fo points.... or vica versa....

Now in end you add up all points for all players...

So someone like A gm or Im may have 5 /5 for chess and have say 15 points if you multiply it by 3.....
And loss in poker 0 points.... for a total of 15 pts.

A random 1800 player can have 3 points in chess for 9 points... then win poker first place for 10 points... 19 points... and be first place....

Use the multplier to equate chess and poker more or less on skill vs luck..

legal loop hole is possible if you take no rake nd no buy in maybe.... which if advertised for free can work...

I would suggest if a player signs up via a poker deal... this is what i try to do... you use the affiliate money to pay for prizes... and refnd their deposit...

its been done.... or something along those lines...

if you dont do it that way everyone has to trust someone to hold entry fee and then it cost all player....

i was thinking of getting poker rooms to pay for it provided players are good quality and in general chess players are....

kill two birds with one stone...
Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Full Member (100+)

TheNic, I will try to speak to you off forum about the minutia regarding this. I did contact you personally here, and I hope we can get a chance to chat. I will say, if you get the chess to work right on TV, you have a possible opportunity to get chess on TV and have this a televised event. I will look to offline discuss this with you.

Once more is fleshed out, we can go and maybe get a few key people together to plan this. I do know a bunch of good chess players have gone into poker to make a living. I believe the money is not an issue, if you happen to frame it as a poker tournament. I believe that legal purposes would call for people to get more back than they put in off of playing chess.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member (20-99)

That would be very interesting event chess and poker competitions gong along . Good idea . I appreciate that .