Chess and Poker Forums    

Go Back   Game Forums > Chess and Poker Game Forums > ChessandPoker.com Questions and Forum Help Desk

Old 12-11-2013, 08:31 PM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Question Odds of winning Klondike

I'm delighted with the Nine Step Klondike Solitaire Strategy. The statistical analysis is excellent, and I find myself winning many more games as a result! Thank you!

I stumbled across an article on solitaire on wikipedia.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klondike_(solitaire)#Odds_of_winning[/url]

"About 79% of the games are theoretically winnable,[1] but people do not win 79% of the games they start because they make a wrong move somewhere and lose the game prematurely."

[1] [url]http://www.jupiterscientific.org/sciinfo/KlondikeSolitaireReport.html[/url]

Winning 4 out of 5 games? I find this very hard to believe! On a good day, I might be able to win 1 out of 3, but not because of making a wrong move, I think!

I was wondering whether I could get your thoughts on this. I knew a lot more mathematics when I was younger, but I have no ability to calculate odds in any case, yet alone those of winning or losing at solitaire.

Thank you for your time.

JSinMN
Old 12-15-2013, 07:26 PM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

Glad you liked our guide!

tbh I haven't played Klondike Solitaire for quite awhile, but I recall being able to solve the vast majority of boards when I would run test sessions. I never really kept track of my wins but I was always fascinated when the board was unsolvable, prompting investigation as to the cause. The results of my research resulted in improvements to my original concept of (human) optimal Solitaire playing techniques and ultimately resulted in my Solitaire Strategy Guide. I do not like to be stumped!!

I haven't had time to read through the article you referenced but I'd be surprised if someone hasn't come up with some brute-force analysis on the basic Klondike game by now with some more definitive expectations on win rate expectations.

There are still some improvements I feel I could make to my guide, little optimizations are always hiding somewhere in the details, so mebbe this will prompt me to have another look and cinch it up a bit more in the near future!