Chess and Poker Forums    

Go Back   Game Forums > Chess and Poker Game Forums > ChessandPoker.com Help Desk

Old 04-19-2008, 11:00 PM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Smile Yet another algorithm question ;)

I am stuck on step 6.

Upon finishing the algorithm, I almost always end up with the entire cube solve but one side. Yellow is the bottom of my cube. When I finish the the algorithm, all the sides are correct such as red, green, and orange. But the blue yellow cube is turned backwards. It's in the right place and no matter what algorithm I do, it may solve the side but another one becomes unsolved.

Sometimes when I finish with step 6 there will only be one side cube solved and three unsolved. I have never performed that algorithm and two of the sides are solved. When the three sides are unsolved I will either do the fish or H algorithm and I get back to having on side unsolved. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and I hope I've been detailed enough for you all to help me. I can take a picture of the cube if I need to.

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2008, 03:54 AM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

Hi weirddemon, welcome to the forums!

If you've followed the solution correctly through Step #5, you should now have the bottom two layers of your cube completely solved. The top layer corners should also be completely solved with only the edges to finish. is this the case with your cube? step six will solve two of those edge cubies and then step seven will finish the other two. if it's still puzzling you, posting a picture of your cube might be helpful. I guess this is why they call it the frustration cube?

rest assured, you'll soon be able to solve the rubik's cube!
Old 04-20-2008, 01:21 PM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Yes. I did correctly finish step five and only have the edges to finish.

However, the scenarios you give aren't occurring. You said, "In almost all cases, there will be two edges completely solved after finishing step six above, and two edges unsolved."

This is never the case when I finish step six. There is always only one cube solved. OS when I do the H algorithm or the fish one, I end up with one edge left and no matter what I do, I can't get it. I'll post some pictures tonight when I get a chance.

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2008, 03:10 PM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

ahhhhh, now I think I know where you're getting tripped up. sometimes you have to perform the algorithm for step #6 two times before you continue on to the final step. from the page:

Quote:
Then perform the following repositioning algorithm to move the rest of the edges into their proper places (up to two times).
most of the time, with the newer cubes anyway, once is enough but there are plenty of times the second run-through is needed anyway. hopefully that solves your problem. let me know if not!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:20 AM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Smile

Well, it turns out that my cube was unsolveable. I know it sounds strange, but this is what happened:

I took my cube to a friend that I knew could solve a rubik's cube. I asked him what I was doing wrong and he tried to solve my cube, but kept tripping up. Apparently, I opened my cube last year to apply some lubrication to make it run a lot smoother and I guess I put it back together wrong. When my friend adjusted my cube, I had no problem solving it.

I now just have to remember the "H" and "Fish" algorithm, then I'll be good.

Thanks a lot for your help!

p.s. I didn't even know I could put it back together wrong :P