Chess and Poker Forums    

Go Back   Game Forums > Chess and Poker Game Forums > ChessandPoker.com Questions and Forum Help Desk

Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 PM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Exclamation Rubik's Step two alg. 3 D=

Hey, i'm new here and just want to start off by saying the Rubik's help is fantastic!

My only frustration is I can't seem to figure out the algorithm # 3 on Step two. I have every single 1st layer done, and I'm working on the blue as suggested. I have a yellow green cubie on the red center, with the red blue cubie on the yellow center in the middle. otherwise known as the #3

Here's my steps.
attached is the beginning to show you how my cube looks right now.
*note the retarded Paint writing to help illustrate*
xD

As you can see, I rotated the middle to the right, keeping the top and bottom level to the front.

Turning clockwise to the right. This is where I think I'm screwing up.
because I understand how the other steps work perfectly, except for the turning.

finishing by turning the middle to the left like instructed.

end product when I flip it back.
Not pretty. Not what was needed.
So then I usually backtrack until where I'm supposed to be.

hmph. frustrating.

any help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0380.jpg (93.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-31-2009, 02:17 AM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

ah! nvm. I somehow got it to work. aweeeeeeesome.
now onto the third step!
I messed with it a bit, then got it towhere I didn't even have to use the algorithm
Old 01-31-2009, 11:48 AM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

herzer, welcome to the forums!

If you start with the cube position as shown in your attached thumbnail at the bottom of the post, the algorithm works fine. I just can't understand how the edge cubie is getting flipped around in your third pic! the first pic looks correct, since moving only the middle layer to the right should end up just like that. the second pic looks like you've turned the front face correctly, but are you only turning the front face (the nine cubies making up the front of the cube) or the whole cube? I can't see the other sides of the cube so it's hard to say. turning the front face should not disturb the Blue-Red edge since the first move of the algo (middle layer to the right) effectively moves it out of the way of a front-face-right turn.

the third algorithm here simply moves the Blue-Red edge to the back layer of the cube (middle layer right), then turns the front face clockwise with the empty slot (where our Blue-Red edge needs to go) where our target cubie just was, and then with the third move (middle layer left) we return the Blue-Red edge to it's previous location but now correctly in-between the already solved corners. Finally, we turn the front face back to the left (counter-clockwise) restoring the top layer corners to their starting positions now with the missing edge in its proper solved position.

FWIW I liked the arrows you drew even though I could barely see them at first, although I thought it was even cooler that you are doing product placement for Diet Dr. Pepper for the ChessandPoker.com community. good stuff!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:29 AM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

hahah! I didn't really notice about the Diet DP
Just wanted to say, i FINALLY figured out the whole flipping counterclock wise.
I felt so proud when I figured out the Algs. that involved it and they worked perfectly.

I finished the cube about an hour after that, starting over about three times from messing up. hahahahah

My hardest problem I ran into after that, was the last layer.
Those three cubes that are misplaces, weren't ANYTHING like what the diagrams showed. I ended up having to do the shuffle for about ten minutes until I finally got the green and white cubie shuffled just right.

I just about dropped the cube when I realized I solved it

Thanks so much for the help!