Chess and Poker Forums    

Go Back   Game Forums > Chess and Poker Game Forums > ChessandPoker.com Help Desk

Old 03-25-2009, 02:39 PM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Question Rubiks Cube Problem

I'm having a problem with my Rubiks Cube on step 6 of the guide. I keep doing the step 6 algorithim, but I keep ending up with something very similar to a Dedmore Fish. If anyone wants me to post a picture, I would be more than happy to do so.

Thanks!
--Llamaman42

p.s. the reason I can't find the solution might be because somebody 'cheated' and pulled it apart, and if somebody could tell me how to pull it apart without completely destroying it that would be awesome of them.

Last edited by Llamaman42; 03-26-2009 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:47 PM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

Hi Llamaman welcome to the forums

Following Step 6 you should have either the Fish or H Pattern, which will be solved in the final Step 7. Please post a pic of your cube with the top fully visible and I'll have a look to see what the problem is!
Old 03-28-2009, 04:49 PM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Actually, I messed around with it a little more, and now I've got the cube almost solved except two of the cubies, which need to be switched, without changing their orientation.

I'm also having trouble posting a picture, so either wait a little while, or I can post a diagram (however you want me to).

Last edited by Llamaman42; 03-28-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:59 PM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

if you need to take the edge cubies out to fix them, I've found it best to turn the top layer a "half-turn" so that you can see the black top of the middle-edge cubie below it and take a flat-head screwdriver and *gently* pry it up to pop it out. do so carefully so you're not bending anything, and then once they are fixed you just pop them back in (it's a bit tough on some cubes so just apply some pressure).

I'll be showing how to do this in more detail in an upcoming blog post where I lube my cubes for speedcubing! but without seeing your cube, it's hard to say if that is even necessary. to upload a picture just click the paperclip icon above where you're typing your posts (next to the fonts and smilie lists) and then follow the instructions there. good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Old 03-28-2009, 08:59 PM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

200903281626_100.jpg

200903281626_101.jpg

Here they are. I retouched them so that you could clearly see what all the colors are.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:12 PM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

yes, if these are the only two edges left to solve then someone has tampered with it at some point. I'm slightly confused though since one picture shows a green side and the other orange, but the cubies look like they are green and yellow. maybe it's just your photo editing software playing tricks with the color, but in any case it's impossible to have only two unsolved edge cubies in the last layer like this. pop 'em off and then resolve

p.s. I like to see Rubik's cubes with the stickers falling off ... it means they've been used a few times!
Old 03-28-2009, 09:23 PM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessandpoker View Post
I'm slightly confused though since one picture shows a green side and the other orange, but the cubies look like they are green and yellow.
Oops... my mistake.

Thanks for the help though!