Chess and Poker Forums    

Go Back   Game Forums > Chess and Poker Game Forums > ChessandPoker.com Help Desk

Old 03-13-2008, 01:59 AM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Default Rubik's Cube Direction???'s

I found the site with the directions for solving the cube. Everything goes great until I get to an algorithim that has me turn the cube. For some reason any of those do not work out for me at all.

I obviously am not doing it correctly. The cube is new and matches the instructions. My real question is when you turn the entire cube, do you turn it 90 degrees in the direction and do you always turn it looking at the front face? Does the front face stay with the center cube?

I am confused please help
Old 03-13-2008, 02:05 AM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

Hi airmountainman, welcome to the forums!

which step are you stuck on, Step #4?
Old 03-13-2008, 02:24 AM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

I am actually stuck on step 3 but, on step 2 when I get the cube so that the center edge is in location 3. Everytime I get it to so that is the last piece to place so that the blue side is complete...I cannot get it to work. I then place the center edge piece in the right location then go back to step 1 and place the corners again.

Now I am to step 3 and want to move the red piece from the bottom to the right. I start following the algorithm and it messes up the cube. The only thing I can think I am messing up is the rotate of the whole face because that is same thing in algorithm 3 in step 2.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:40 AM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

So assuming you've completed Step 1 correctly, you'll start Step 2 with the top corners solved and are preparing to place the remaining edge pieces between them (as shown in the mini graphic at the end of Step 1).

the front face of the cube is the face you'll be looking at when you perform the appropriate algorithms to do so. in our graphic for step 2, we're trying to complete the current front face (which has two red corners already solved) by turning the bottom two rows around until the target edge cubie (the red-blue edge needed to complete the row) is in any of the numbered positions.

in Step 2 position #3, the target red-blue edge would be located such that the blue sticker is actually on the right side of the cube, since you'll always be looking at the front face of the cube when performing any of the algorithms in the solution, and the red sticker would be on the front face. you do not turn the cube around at all to perform algo #3, you still perform it from the front-face view. doing so will move the target red-blue cubie into place. if you turned the cube around at all, you'd be using a new front face and the algorithm wouldn't work (you'd need to find the appropriate algorithm for the new side's edge cubie).

once you've finished step 2, step 3 will be quite easy I'm sure. you only have two algorithms, a left and right movement for the target cubie, that again are always performed from the front face.

I hope this helps, but if not I'll be back on tomorrow to answer any more questions. I have a sick wife to attend to tonight (nasty head cold) so good luck with solving the rubik's cube!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:48 AM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

If you have not experienced the taste of dumb biscuits...I can tell you all about it. Now it all makes sense...I think. I can now move to step 4!! wooohoooo!! I understand what it was telling me now.