Chess and Poker Forums    

Go Back   Game Forums > Chess and Poker Game Forums > ChessandPoker.com Help Desk

Old 04-17-2008, 05:59 AM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Default Rubik's Cube Step 5

I used to be able to follow your solution but having left off for a while I am now getting stuck on Step 5. I have the corners in place and following the algorithm gets me to at most 3 out of 4 corners correctly orientated. Then when I follow the algorithm again I get back to only one corner correctly orientated. This keeps happening, So far I've followed the algorithm at least 20 times. Can you help?

Thanks

Ian
Old 04-17-2008, 10:32 AM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

Hi ianh68, and welcome to the forums!

Considering you've followed the solution correctly through step #4 (and now have the four remaining corners in place, but not yet solved), it's time to flip them over in step #5 to finish them. the most common misstep here is not performing the algorithm from the front of the cube, especially for the second and third cases shown in the graphic. in both of those graphics, you must spot the appropriate configuration of green facelets on the right side of the cube. however, you must still perform the algorithm from the front. if you're turning the cube around so that the configurations for the second and third example now become the front, the algorithm will not work.

also, make sure you're using the algorithm on at least two different configurations. don't search for just one of them over and over again (or you'll just get stuck). let me know how it turns out, and happy solving!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:01 AM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Default Rubik Step 5

I know your solution works because I used to be able to do it but I am still going round in circles on Step 5, even using all three configurations for the algorithm. I keep getting 3 corners OK then back to 1.

Here is the top layer with 3 corners OK (hope you can understand it):

GGG
YGG
GRW

FRONT
OGG

BACK
RWR

LEFT
YGY

RIGHT
OOW

All read from L to R. I now have 3 OK corners (GYO, GYR, GRW and the GWO corner misaligned.

Maybe my cube is misaligned in the first place?

Cheers

Ian
Old 04-24-2008, 02:53 AM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Default What happened next

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianh68 View Post
I know your solution works because I used to be able to do it but I am still going round in circles on Step 5, even using all three configurations for the algorithm. I keep getting 3 corners OK then back to 1.

Here is the top layer with 3 corners OK (hope you can understand it):

GGG
YGG
GRW

FRONT
OGG

BACK
RWR

LEFT
YGY

RIGHT
OOW

All read from L to R. I now have 3 OK corners (GYO, GYR, GRW and the GWO corner misaligned.

Maybe my cube is misaligned in the first place?

Cheers

Ian
Here's the situation after following the algorithm:

YGR
GGY
GRO

FRONT
OGW

BACK
WOG

LEFT
RWY

RIGHT
GGG

Does that help?

Ian
Old 04-24-2008, 10:28 AM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

I'm not sure I can follow your notation Ian

Is there any way you can post a picture of your current progress?
Old 05-04-2008, 07:18 AM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Sorry, I thought it might be difficult to follow. I can't do graphics but how about this. Base is now all blue and bottom two layers perfect. (Remembering I am referring to the original cube in its upside down state). If you look at the orange face you see OGW on top layer. Rotate cube clockwise 90 deg to white face and see GGG. Another 90 deg to red face and see WOG. 90 deg to yellow face and see RWY. Back to looking at orange face. Birds Eye View gives GRO at orange edge, rotate 90 deg clockwise and get OYR at white edge, RGY at red edge and YGG at yellow edge. If this is still too obscure I will attempt to constrct a graphic. Thanks for your patience. Ian.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:30 AM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

I input this configuration into another Rubik cube solver and got back a message "cube misassembled". That is probably it.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:03 PM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

I think in the 80's everyone took their cubes apart, because I've had so many people email me with questions about the solution only to eventually find out their cube had been put back together incorrectly. more frustration! guess it's time to go shopping?
Old 07-24-2008, 07:17 AM
New Member (0-19 Posts)

Default going shopping

Well, I went shopping and the new cube responds nicely to your algorithms. However, I also rashly invested in a cube with pictures on each face. Now it's not just a matter of getting the right position for each cubelet, they each have to be orientated correctly to restore the picture on each face. Do you have any algorithms for this situation?