Chess and Poker Forums    

Go Back   Game Forums > Chess and Poker Game Forums > Community Discussions

Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 PM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

Default São Paulo/Bilbao Final First leg coverage (complete)

Watch LIVE Chess now!

Click the "Live Chess" link in the navigation bar above (highlighted in dark blue) and check out the following current Grandmaster chess tournaments!

Capablanca Room
São Paulo / Bilbao Grand Slam Final

Super GM's Magnus Carlsen, Levon Aronian, Viswanathan Anand, Fabiano Caruana, Sergey Karjakin and Francisco Vallejo are battling it out in the São Paulo / Bilbao Grand Slam Final. It doesn't get much better than this!!

Fischer Room
2012 London FIDE Grand Prix

Another power-packed tournament featuring American superstar Hikaru Nakamura, World Championship contender Boris Gelfand and up-and-comers Wang Hao + Anish Giri. Nakamura is having a rough go of it, but there's always time for a comeback, right?

Karpov Room
Poikovsky 2012

Exciting action in play with GMs Ponomariov, Onischuk, Bologan and more facing off across the board.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:52 AM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

Alright, let's have a quick look at today's action....

GM Fabiano Caruana pounced on an unforced error from his opponent GM Vallejo on move 20. ... Qd8?? to chalk up the win and extend his lead over this heavily talented field.

The highly-anticipated matchup between Magnus Carlsen and Levon Aronian was drawn...but not without controversy? The computer analysis shows Magnus committing an atrocious error on move 27 AND it says Levon somehow missed it? On my phone but will have to check this out soon!

Bah. I don't even want to talk about this one

The only game I really followed was the Mamedyarov/Nakamura game and well.....Hikaru suffered another loss

Poikovsky 2012

The results page shows wins for GMs Jakovenko over Bologan, Wojtaszek over Motylev and our good friend Nigel Short took out GM Rublevsky.

Calling it a night folks, but looking forward to the games tomorrow!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

October 1st, 2012 Update

GM Fabiano Caruana leads...tournament is on pause until October 8th when they'll run through the match-ups again!

What a crazy tournament so far! Hikaru has lost four times (?!) including 3 in a row (??) and sits 12/12 for last place. All I can say is ugh. The GM stands to take a massive 21pt ratings hit as they run...so he'll need to start picking up some wins to salvage what has turned into one of his worst performances in recent history. He'll have the Black pieces and face off against GM Adams today who's not exactly having a great one either in 11th, with two losses and a handful of draws himself. Lots of other exciting games on tap in London, including Ivanchuk/Topolav and Wang/Leko among others.

Good day to watch Chess, things should be kicking off soon!

Poikovsky 2012

tbh I haven't really been following this one too closely with the other two majors in progress, but now that the Grand Slam is on pause mebbe I'll pay more attention.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:55 PM
ChessandPoker.com Owner

Default Update Oct. 8th

Update time!!

Capablanca Room (Watch Live Now)

The second leg of this tournament kicks off todoy in Bilbao, with Italian Fabiano Caruana in the lead, followed by World #2 rated Levon Aronian in 2nd and the #1 rated player in the World Magnus Carlsen in third.

Play will start at 11a EST / 10a CST and will feature another round robin involving these elite Super GM's. Let's watch some great Chess!

//////////////////////////////////////

FEATURED GAME!!
World #1 Magnus Carlsen vs Tournament Leader Caruana

MORE EXCITING ACTION
Vallejo vs World Champion Vishy Anand
Karjakin vs "Chess Gangsta" Lev Aronian

//////////////////////////////////////

Fischer Room (Finished)

The 2012 London Grand Prix ended in a 3-way tie with Boris Gelfand, Veselin Topalov and Shakhriyar Mamedyarov sharing first place. Congrats to the big 3 who stepped up their games this time around, especially Mamedyarov who picked up a whopping +17 points for his performance. My favorite Hikaru Nakamura finished in dead last, losing 23 rating points and finishing up one of his worst performances. Oh wells....

Karpov Room (Finished)
Poikovsky 2012

This one didn't get much coverage but had some decent games. Looks like Dmitry Jakovenko shipped the tournament with former World-Championship contender Nigel Short bringing up the rear in last place...vs a relatively weak field...hmmm.....

CLICK LIVE CHESS FROM THE TOP MENU AND VISIT THE CAPABLANCA ROOM TO CHECK OUT THE ACTION THIS WEEK!!